Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:16:00 +0400
In such a case, the loss of 19 largest banks would amount to 534 bln. dollars. Despite considerable drop of predicted capital, 15 out of 19 holding banking companies will keep their capital four times higher than its normative value.
According to Aleksei Afanasiev, the head of the Department of Portfolio Investments of Masterforex-V Academy, last week’s macroeconomic data was mostly positive:
1. Retail sales rose by 1.1% in February, taking into consideration seasonal fluctuations. In comparison to February 2011, sales have risen by 6.5%. January sales have risen from 0.4% to 0.6%.
2. Industrial production remained the same. Capacity ratio is falling. It has dropped by 78.7% or by 1.6 points from the average since 1972. Its value is 18.3% lower than before crisis. Capacity ratio in January has been lowered from 78.5% to 78.8%. Industrial output did not change in February. Market consensus was slightly worse than expected.
3. Reports of Philadelphia FRS about national production volume slow minor increase in January. Current activity index in March amounted to 12.5 and showed the increase by 2.3 basic points, which is the maximal point since April 2011. General business index remained almost the same in March and amounted to 20.2.
4. Weekly unemployment claims have dropped to 351 000. The four-week moving average is close to the lowest point since the beginning of 2008.
5. Consumer sentiment index dropped to 74.3 in March from 75.3 in February, which is lower than market consensus. Consumer’s general sentiment is rather weak and does not show certain signs of recovery. Small business index slightly rose in February. It has risen form 93.9 to 94.3, which is the 6th rise in a row. However, the index remains at a rather low point due to slow economic growth.
Rally, which started since the beginning of the year, is getting weaker and casts pressure on investors’ psychology. We are currently observing overbought market, and there remains the only question: “will the future correction amount to 3-5% or 10-15%, or something else?”. We recommend redistributing the portfolio, for we believe that aggressive buying at current points are inappropriate.
You are free to discuss this article here: forum for traders and investors
According to Andrey Gudkov, an observer for Deutsche Welle, the oil games played by Saudi Arabia may present danger to Russia and the USA. The be more specific, the observer says that the Saudis are playing dangerous oil games. They have been playing similar games in security and politics. Now they are playing those in macroeconomics. For instance, it was Saudi Arabia who intentionally disrupted the recent oil summit in Doha. On top of that, the Saudis announced their intention to sell tons of U.S. bonds to a stunning amount of $750 billion. Such unexpected steps may undermine financial markets worldwide and eventually affect a number of major and emerging economies, including Russia and the USA.
Low oil prices undermined the status of the Suez Canal. They say most ships find it cheaper to sail around Africa rather than sailing through the Suez Canal. Some market observers believe that the oil market crash resulted in multiple consequences. On top of billions of dollars of lost profits by the world's biggest oil exporters, sailing around Africa is no said to be cheaper than saving time by passing through the Suez Canal.
Famous American economist Nouriel Roubini is sure that there is not going to be any major crisis in 2016. Still, this year is going to be a tough one for international commodity markets as well as many economies out there, especially emerging ones, the expert says. By the way, Mr. Roubini has been famous for his prediction of the 2008 global crisis, which is why he has been enjoying respect in the international financial community ever since.
The latest economic figures coming from China make the international exert community worry about the fate of the Chinese economy in particular and the entire global economy in general. The thing is, each time Western stock markets start plunging, China is viewed as one of the key drivers affecting those markets along with other markets out there.